Saturday, January 31, 2009

Groundhog Day

source: commons.wikimedia.org

Groundhog Day is celebrated in the United States and Canada on February 2nd. On this day, the groundhog will come out from its burrow. If the groundhog does not see its shadow and stays above ground, winter will soon end. If the groundhog does see its shadow, the groundhog will go back into its burrow and there will be 6 more weeks of winter.

The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania. As many as 40,000 people from all over the United States will gather to celebrate. They watch Phil, the Groundhog, as he emerges from his burrow after a long winter's hibernation.

So, do you think Phil will see his shadow? Do you want winter to end soon or would you like 6 more weeks of winter? Why?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would want winter to be almost done. I want Phill to see his shadow because winter will almost be done.

Ms. Vo said...

Will, if Phil sees his shadow, he will go back into his hole and there will be 6 more weeks of winter. I think you don't want him to see his shadow.

Anonymous said...

Yes Ms Vo, I Made a mastake.

grant said...

I would want 6 more weeks of winter because I like winter.

Ms. Vo said...

Grant, I LOVE winter, too. What do you like about winter?

grant said...

I love winter because I get to have snow ball fights.

Anonymous said...

I think Phil saw his shadow because I like makeing snowmen.

Anonymous said...

I want Phil to see his shadow.I don't like winter because It's cold.

Anonymous said...

Grace, if the Phil saw his shadow there would be six more weeks of winter.

William

Anonymous said...

William, that's a funny comment.

Anonymous said...

Grant wiy do you like snowball fighs

Anonymous said...

Grant wiy do you like snowball fighs

Anonymous said...

I want Spring to be soon, winter is TOO COLD!

Anonymous said...

I want Spring to be soon, winter is TOO COLD!

Anonymous said...

Will, if Phil saw his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks of winter.

William

P.S. (I told that to Grace, also)

Anonymous said...

Grant,why do you like wientr.

Anonymous said...

I want to have winter end soon because its suny

Anonymous said...

if the grond coms out what will he do.

Anonymous said...

I would like it to be allmost spring.

Alexis said...

Hunter,
Why do you want it to be spring.

William said...

Ms.Vo, why do you like winter?

Ms. Vo said...

I love wearing sweaters and all kinds of warm clothes. I like sitting in front of the fireplace and drinking hot cocoa. Winter is awesome.